Sunday, March 14, 2010

Play To Your Strengths!

In the name of all that is Holy, I thank God for a job (even an internship) that plays to my strengths! Think about this: Does your current job/career consistently expect you to perform a job that is not within your skill set? Is your quality of life affected by these demands? What are you prepared to do to change your situation?

After one week on my new and shiny internship I'm still in pretty good shape. I can say I appreciate being appreciated. I know that sounds corny but I know that I work harder without complaining when everyone around me is working just as hard. I won't say they're not complaining...just that the job still gets done and the right way. Amazingly enough I have not one time been asked to do something outside of the spectrum of my capabilities and all the while being challenged to be as creative as possible. I don't even consider myself THAT creative...and if you know me I've probably said this a thousand times. Even still, I found myself inspired by the flexibility, approach to success, and shiny new job smell of my internship so I created. I assembled a new menu for this coming week to be used on our "Chop Salad" station complete with homemade dressings and the like! Outstanding! This 9 billion dollar company is letting me write a menu....and they're gonna use it! Do you know I once worked in one place for six months that was more concerned about the correct culinary terminology than they were about inspiring their employees. I of course have left that place and when I checked back the whole kitchen staff I worked with has since vacated the premises. Lesson learned. So, I ask the question again...does your current place of employment play to your strengths? If you know you don't want to do that job for the rest of your life, does the job at least give you tools to move on to the next step? What are you willing to give up for a better quality of life and a more fulfilled spirit?

1 comment:

  1. I would have to hypothesize that 85-95% of the workforce in the grand ole' USofA detest their profession. Some may hate what they do simply based on that they dont make much money doing it, but I think the major reason is that they are displeased because they haven't thought it out and tried to combine a passion/joy with a source of income. We are lucky A, genuine proof to your questions raised, I truely feel "blessed" or even as far as spoiled to have linked these two aspects of a career. People two and three times our age are still doing the same thing, day in and day out, year after year, despising their work's environment/tasks/fellow employees. I dont take it for granted for one minute and the proof is in the pudding.....literally

    ReplyDelete